[Q] Note 3 Camera - Slow Mothion Function - Original (real·time) Speed! -–-?

Search This thread

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
Hello, you surely already know about the 120fps-Recording of the Note 3. [TAGS TO THIS THREAD: SlowMo|SloMo|Record|Video|Speed]

Like (almost) any other Slow-Motion-Camera, there's something, that really disappoints me!

What disappoints me:
If you record a Slow·Mothion-Video, then the Video will be saved as Slow Motion too!

-Better: Save in Original Speed and in the Player you can slow down - and choose if the Sound keeps the pitch-level while speed adjustment.

IF i record 4 seconds @ 120 Fps, then i want to get a 4sec. Video with 120·FPS.
and not a 16 seconds-video with 30 fps with lost sound.

What i'd like: Save in Original Speed and Includes Sound while Recording!

But even worse: If you get asked to edit the video after that - INFORMATION WILL BE THROWN AWAY!

Well... Xperia Z2 includes the Sound and the WHOLE Scene but the Slown-Down parts
The not-slown-down parts will be saved at normal framerate, so information gets lost.#
The Output file has 30 Fps.

„An Example“ said:
Here's one good example -
IF i record one hour Slow-Motion at 100 Frames per Second, then i don't want 4 Hours with 25 Frames-per-Second in the Output-File.
The outputfle must have Sound and 100 Frames per Second and must be 3600 seconds long in this example!

But the manufacturers think, that all the people like the sucking method!

The sucking method example:
I record 10-Seconds in real-time at 480 fps.
Then the output file has a length of 2 Minutes and 40 Seconds with 30 fps.
Then the Output-File isn't in real time.
That does suck! This sucks!

I want output file with no information loss (full framerate) but at real time with REAL 480 fps.

What you'd probably think right now:

Just play the Video at a higher speed in the Video Player!

My Answer:
Oh, i'm soo lucky, that 60 fps at real time is possible! With sound!
I simply want an output file without information loss.

Now what you'd think:
Well, that not-realtime-video which is slown down does have ALL Frames!

My answer - Well, yes... but then in the Video-Specs

What i'd simply wish:
If i record a Video (example: 00:00:10, 96 fps) then i want an output file with the SAME SPECIIFICATIONS.

What i don't want:
If i record a Video (00:00:00:10, 96fps) then i get a Video with a Length of 40 Seconds and 24 Frames per Second.!

NOW DON'T SAY:
„Why is slow-motion called SLOW-Motion?
Because you want to get a Video with SLOW-Motion!“

Then my answer would(avtuallý ) be:
My Personal answer:„Well... ýes but this is what I want. And it is more pratique! The players display real-time-equivalent speeds (1.00x Playing Speed= Original RealTime-Equivalent Speed ) and a Higher Bitrate/REAL second would be maybe worse for devices with weaker processingPower but the filesize would be the same. (4x Higher bitrate but 4x shorter video. Why not 5x higher bitrate? Less detail-loss! (WooHooo!))

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
Read this post to avoid mistunderstandings...!

Now what you'd think:
Well, that not-realtime-video which is slown down does have ALL Frames!

My answer - Well, yes... but then in the Video-Specs

I Forgot to finish writing here!

Both Videos (RealTime@120fps) and SuckingSlownDown@30fps both have ALL Frames.
But the RealTime-Equivalent Video with REAL 120 fps is simply better!
Well, it's got 4x higher bitrate but is also 4x shorter.
So the Quality will be approxmintly the same.
If you see a 50fps or 60fps Video (real time), then you'll see how awesome smoothly it is!
120fps at 720p (1080p@ 120/100fps for LUMIX FƵ1000, great!) has a little bit lower resuoloution but runs even more smoothly.

Which mode you choose depends on situration.
4k is for detailed moments if 24-30fps is smoot enough but 60fps for a little bit more movier moments...
120fps is useless because there's no sound and the output file is slown doen.
120fps would be useful in some sitouarations, if the output file would have a RealTime-Equivalen-Speed (1.00x Plaýback Speed ≜ 1x Realtime Speed) and also sound, in the Full Microphone-Quality of the device(can do.!).

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
Did you know... ?

In (the )most more Advanced Players (Windows and Android) you can slow down playing. 0.125x/12,5%/⅛ Playback speed are also ⅛ in REAL WORLD.

I Forgot to finish writing here!

Both Videos (RealTime@120fps) and SuckingSlownDown@30fps both have ALL Frames.
But the RealTime-Equivalent Video with REAL 120 fps is simply better!
Well, it's got 4x higher bitrate but is also 4x shorter.
So the Quality will be approxmintly the same.
If you see a 50fps or 60fps Video (real time), then you'll see how awesome smoothly it is!
120fps at 720p (1080p@ 120/100fps for LUMIX FƵ1000, great!) has a little bit lower resuoloution but runs even more smoothly.

Which mode you choose depends on situration.
4k is for detailed moments if 24-30fps is smoot enough but 60fps for a little bit more movier moments...
120fps is useless because there's no sound and the output file is slown doen.
120fps would be useful in some sitouarations, if the output file would have a RealTime-Equivalen-Speed (1.00x Plaýback Speed ≜ 1x Realtime Speed) and also sound, in the Full Microphone-Quality of the device(can do.!).

In the Sucking method:
4x or 8x Playback Speed= Original Speed in the Reality. And no sound. I hate that.

[Hide="Did you know - ?"]So did ýou know? : that you can slow down in more advanced players? And they show those REAL-TIME-EQUILEVANT speeds. 0,25x Playback Speed= 0.25x Real-Time-Eq. Speed! Better method!

And it's quite stupid to think, that everybody likes a slown-down output file - and even without sound (mutid). Muted sound=lost sound information in [umgebung] and 4x playback speed = 1x Speed in Real world? - Oh no! But those manutfacturers think, that everybody likes it. What do you think of it? Simply post it![/HIDE]
So you just need to slow down inside of the player, to see all those small moves.

I find that(/this) better - ... ¡

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
TItle;: - Note 3 Camera - Slow Mothion Function - Original (real·time) Speed! -–-?

This is simply the [FONT="Courier New"[COLOR="Blue"]]the [/FONT]more
[/COLOR]pracctique
waý! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ·! - ·

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
Is the method (that the Manufacturers use) [REALLÝ] BETTER?

...and WHAT is the Advantage of the method, that i don't like soo much for slow motion?

I don't think so- every player must have a Feature for Slow Down, Reverse Playback:laugh: and Ƶoom while Playing/Pause/Preview Frame. (Rotation is very Funny.)

And it must have a Feature to adjust sound mode at Speedup/Slow down! (Keep Original pitch or make it Lower/Higher at Slowdown/Speedup.)

And it may also would be a good idea to use te trick in the Média Players, which one the High-Advanced SmartTV's - „Calculating“ the Frame(s) between 2 Frames. (Works almost perfect for flowent running text :):D:D).

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
...and WHAT is the Advantage of the method, that i don't like soo much for slow motion?

I don't think so- every player must have a Feature for Slow Down, Reverse Playback:laugh: and Ƶoom while Playing/Pause/Preview Frame. (Rotation is very Funny.)

And it must have a Feature to adjust sound mode at Speedup/Slow down! (Keep Original pitch or make it Lower/Higher at Slowdown/Speedup.)

And it may also would be a good idea to use te trick in the Média Players, which one the High-Advanced SmartTV's - „Calculating“ the Frame(s) between 2 Frames. (Works almost perfect for flowent running text :):D:D).

WooHooooooooooooo! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: 256 Posts!!!!!

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
If the Slow Motion would be, like i described here, then making Slow Motion Videos would be a much bigger fun.

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
One of the Most shocking things of GSMArena - (in my opinion)

Look here, at the end of the page: http://blog.gsmarena.com/the-apple-iphone-5s-is-not-actually-recording-720p-slo-mo-video/

What i want to talk about is not that with the 480p but...

GSMArena said:
The slow motion clips might look cool on your iPhone, but they look quite disappointing on a TV or a monitor. Which reminds us of our other disappointment about the feature – when we tried to play those iPhone 5s slo-mo videos on a PC we found that unlike all previous slow motion-capable smartphones, the iPhone 5s actually encodes the video at 120 fps and your computer will play it on 120fps unless you explicitly force it to slow the video four times in order to achieve the desired slow-motion effect. It would have been way more natural the iPhone 5s to process the frames and output a standard 30fps video as most of the phones do, which doesn’t require special players and tools to play properly.

I didn't know before, that iPhones save with ORIGINAL FRAMERATE and SOUND.
But their opinion is, that the sucking method:laugh: is actually better!

I can actually also understand what they mean, but is there any other reason? ...for the sucking method of taking Slow-Motion Videos
For me it's actually not a disappointment - well done Apple! :laugh:
Im gégenteil - das finde ich toll!
I hope, that all (of) the other manufacturers do the same!
...Canon SX50hs and Sony RX100 :good: DMC-FZ1000 very good camera with 100fps@FullHD [Output file 30fps and muted sound ; ( :crying: ]

:cowboy:

GSMAréÀ said:
Here’s hoping Apple fixes this promptly with an update – it certainly can’t be that hard.
Oh no :eek: PLEASE NOT!

the standard 30fps video as most of the other phones do
That's too bad. :(

I respect other opinions.:cowboy:
But i prefer my described way to take Slow Motio Videos.

So all the best, and have a nice day! ;)

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
Ok, Nice Feautre! :laugh:
You can download the original video here - 720p @ 120fps (8MB). You'll need a player capable of reducing the framerate to experience the slowdown, the video itself runs realtime.

This time, i'm really proud of Apple.:cowboy:

Plesae, learn something from here, other manufacturers that do it wrong.

.upscaling from 480p to 720p is still better than taking „SUCKING:eek: “ slow-motion videos..:eek:

Last edited:

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
„Piche-Level“ [EXPLAINED]

Hello, you surely already know about the 120fps-Recording of the Note 3. [TAGS TO THIS THREAD: SlowMo|SloMo|Record|Video|Speed]

Almost every Slow-Motion Capable Device does the Same mistake.

What disappoints me:
If you record a Slow·Mothion-Video, then the Video will be saved as Slow Motion too!

►Better: Save in Original Speed and speed adjustment comes inside of the player
- and being able to choose if the Sound keeps the pitch-level while speed adjustment.

and choose if the Sound keeps the pitch-level while speed adjustment ...inside of the Player.

Pitch-Level

2.0x Playback Speed - 2.0x or always keep x1.0 Pitch Level?

For example: VLC Always keeps x1.0, indipendant from Playback Speed. But MPC-HC► makes the Pitch-Level dependent from the Playback Speed (► x2.0 = ♫♪x2.0)

Pitch Level is Tone Height. aka Pitchbend.

AKA=Also Known As

Have a Nice day ;)

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
Isssue 4ever

I can't really believe that the new Galaxy Notes alos have this issue.
No Sound and not Realtime.

Hrm...

Many manufacturers embarrass theirself by doing the same mistake but good the luck 1080p@60fps with sound and realtime is possible.:laugh:

I can't believe that the FƵ1000 and the 255 HS also have that issue.
But the SX50 HS and the RX100/3 are completly free of this issue :cowboy:.

...also, the S5 (not the Note 4) are able to adjust the Playback-Speed in the player...

and... duh, forgot what.

Have a nice day ;)

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
Links and Info

The Canon IXUS 256 HS would be actually nice - it IS nice. (And also low noise at high iso and full resolution iSO6k)

...but it has this again.

Look here, many people also want AUDIO on Slow Motion.
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3,4,5

Link 6

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
One Advantage

If you want to see the Slow-Motion effect on a Friendly RT-Slow Motion (Output file is the Same as Sensor Records), you've got to slow down inside of the player to see the Slow-Motion effect. And also... not every player has this feature.

This is a big advantage of the Sucking Method but i think, that it's really the one and only advantage.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Suprised this hasn't been mentioned before, this will be very useful.