Would you give up on thickness of a phone to have batter battery life?

Search This thread

holsma

Nov 13, 2013
Most modern phones do not provide same amount of usage time as last "dumb phone" models like nokia and ericsson did. I remember charging them once a week. Manufacturers go for thin phones and sacrifice battery life for that. Are you ready to have a thicker phone with let's say 2x or 3x battery life?

Reactions: Hannah Stern

rachel lee

May 29, 2015
fremont
To be honest, I really miss the past days when our phone batteries can last for a very long hours, people wouldn't worry about their phones will out of charge now and then. I hope one day the technology could make cellphones both thin and have longer battery life.:crying:

N

NOOK!E

I most definitely would. Battery life is tippity-top priority for me, and I'd take more thickness gladly for better battery. :good:

Planterz

Feb 28, 2014
Tucson, AZ
I think most people would. I don't know about 2-3x the thickness, but phones like the Droid Turbo/Moto Maxx and LG G2 are proof that you can put a sizable battery in a phone without making it too thick or heavy, or require the extra space of a phablet to do so.

G

GuestD0107

I would prefer a bigger battery than a slim and thick phone. I have a galaxy s4 and now i'm thinking of buying a bigger battery.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9505G utilizzando Tapatalk

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
Most modern phones do not provide same amount of usage time as last "dumb phone" models like nokia and ericsson did. I remember charging them once a week. Manufacturers go for thin phones and sacrifice battery life for that. Are you ready to have a thicker phone with let's say 2x or 3x battery life?

The battery life is much more important than the thickness.
A bad example is the Galaxy S6. They killed so much battery life, just to get the phone thinner. And they stopped making the battery replaceable.

Technology and specifications etc. is much more important than design.

Last edited:

holsma

Nov 13, 2013
So would you buy a less known phone brand which would provide 2x battery at the cost of 2x thickness given that it will match big ones on other specs and quality?

Last edited:

NamelessFragger

Aug 13, 2009
YES, without hesitation. My Note 4's already quite a bit thicker just because of the OtterBox Commuter case I put on it, and it actually makes it a great deal easier to hold. It doesn't affect it fitting in my pockets, either.

That and I hate how manufacturers claim how thin their phones are, only to have the camera module poking out noticeably. That's just cheating now. It'd be a far sleeker design without the hump, just a nice, flat back.

This is also one of the reasons I advocate removable batteries in phones: the user gets the choice to install an extended battery with replacement back if they so choose if the stock battery capacity isn't good enough, without the issues that arise from having a separate internal battery and external battery in a battery case.

Aug 23, 2015
Would be awesome if they build a phone which is slim and has x2 or x3 times battery life at the same time. But I would go for a thicker phone too if it has better battery life.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

So would you buy a less known phone brand which would provide 2x battery at the cost of 2x thickness given that it will match big ones on other specs and quality?

No I would still not go for a brand I don't trust.

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Note 5 comes with 300 mAh but SLIMMER DESIGN?
ARE THEY KIDDING ME?????

Yes. I had the same reaction. Why would they reduce the battery life from Note 4 to Note 5. That's so stupid.

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
Would be awesome if they build a phone which is slim and has x2 or x3 times battery life at the same time. But I would go for a thicker phone too if it has better battery life.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

No I would still not go for a brand I don't trust.

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

Yes. I had the same reaction. Why would they reduce the battery life from Note 4 to Note 5. That's so stupid.

Yes. Many others are also very disappointed: http://xdaforums.com/note5/help/disappointed-samsung-galaxy-note-5-t3183666

DESIGN has a lower priority than Features and Flexibility!!!
The cutest and thinnest device in the world is useless, if you see 3%
battery_low.png
in the Status Bar.

We expected a 4100 mAh Feature-Full and Flexible Superphone (like the S2 and Note 3 at their time)

But we've got a phone, which is insufficient for buisness:
  • MHL-MicroHDMI and IR-Blasters? MISSING
  • MicroSD? Removable Battery? MISSING
  • Ugly User Interface (Cute = Galaxy S3+S4+S5 UI with Andriod 4.x)
  • Features to show off? VANISHED
  • Useful Gimmicks (See S4/Note 3) - also vanished

oxeadr

Sep 29, 2015

apagar la ubicacion mediante 3g

TheNetwork

Apr 6, 2011
I would not mind double the thickness on my LG G3 for 2 days of battery life instead of 1 (or 1/2...) I have the zerolemon extended battery, and the case itself is almost worth it, makes it very hard to break the phone, but the battery is clearly not as high quality as an OEM one. While I started out getting 3-4 days of battery on it vs the stock one it's now down to 2 days of light usage (very little mobile data or intense app usage) or 1 day of intense usage on a "9000" mAh battery. Wouldn't have that problem with a high quality OEM battery.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sometimes I need a thin phone, when it is in my pocket and sometimes when I am away and have a bag I don't mind a big heavy phone.

I think what you need is a battery with a port on the back on to which you can add extra batteries. So it can be nice and thin when needed but you attach the extended battery when required. You could also have different types of extended batteries, say one shaped like a stand for when you are watching a movie, etc.

Manufacturers are already looking at modular phones, why not modular batteries?
    YES!!! I don't really like thin phones in the first place, they're too hard for me to hold. And 3x my battery life would be amazing, because I get on average 18hr of battery life, so 3x would be 54hr! That would be insane!
    and what would be the maximum thickness/weight of a phone you still think acceptable?
    Definitively yes! Anything below 10 mm is thin enough for me :)