Help downgrading from Nougat to Marshmallow and/or getting rid of System apps in N.

Search This thread

tysoncrypto

Sep 5, 2015
I have a problem with Nougat, and that is - i can`t deinstall system apps. I tried it with system app remover, but it fails on every app. Next i tried with a file manager, but that doesn`t work either. The folders + apk`s just won`t go away, even after a restart. Then i tried to deinstall some stuff via TWRP file explorer, but got a blank screen without any apps after loading into system again.
It wasn`t anything critical for the system to work (i know what i`m doing) so i don`t get where the problem is. I then tried to install Marshmallow, but got into a bootloop and had to reinstall Nougat.

So, if someone knows how to get rid of system apps on Nougat, or if you know how to downgrade, please tell me both. Thanks.

helioXverse

Aug 21, 2010
Danville
OnePlus 6
OnePlus 8T
I have a problem with Nougat, and that is - i can`t deinstall system apps. I tried it with system app remover, but it fails on every app. Next i tried with a file manager, but that doesn`t work either. The folders + apk`s just won`t go away, even after a restart. Then i tried to deinstall some stuff via TWRP file explorer, but got a blank screen without any apps after loading into system again.
It wasn`t anything critical for the system to work (i know what i`m doing) so i don`t get where the problem is. I then tried to install Marshmallow, but got into a bootloop and had to reinstall Nougat.

So, if someone knows how to get rid of system apps on Nougat, or if you know how to downgrade, please tell me both. Thanks.

I've had luck removing system apps with FX explorer, but I had to remount system R/W before it would let me. Also I'm rooted.

teh roxxorz

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2010

If you wish to get rid of system apps, simply flash via recovery, the lastest supersu vip; system[less], whichever your preference. If you haven't already flashed twrp after flashing Nougat, do so first.

Install Titanium Backup, and you're all set; I've done it myself and works as it should.

If you were trying to downgrade to Marshmallow, you'd need to do a backup + full wipe, and install the M bootloader, boot, system, etc, then you could restore a custom ROM backup, if you had one.

RidinNerdy

Jul 30, 2015
At this point i would wait unless he signs up for the beta. Dozen of us have restored our phones

We flashed that it's over custom rom/ wrong steps to upgrade.
So can i downgrade to MM again? I'm on beta N7.0 ... No root.. No unlocked bootloader.. everything stock.. What do you think i should do to get back?? Can i root and flash MM over it..idk

Thanks in advance!!!

rbouza1

May 16, 2013
Google Pixel 6
So can i downgrade to MM again? I'm on beta N7.0 ... No root.. No unlocked bootloader.. everything stock.. What do you think i should do to get back?? Can i root and flash MM over it..idk

Thanks in advance!!!
With out unlocked bootloader I don't really know. I guess you might be able to run a factory image . The latest from googles developers site .

tysoncrypto

Sep 5, 2015
are you root? if so, i've had luck modifying system with Root Explorer. (not sure which explorer you were using)
Thank you all for your answers. I didn`t bother trying another root explorer as i thought they`re all the same, but i will try the ones suggested here. And yes, the phone is of course unlocked and rooted with the latest twrp and supersu installed.

tysoncrypto

Sep 5, 2015
If you wish to get rid of system apps, simply flash via recovery, the lastest supersu vip; system[less], whichever your preference. If you haven't already flashed twrp after flashing Nougat, do so first.

Install Titanium Backup, and you're all set; I've done it myself and works as it should.

If you were trying to downgrade to Marshmallow, you'd need to do a backup + full wipe, and install the M bootloader, boot, system, etc, then you could restore a custom ROM backup, if you had one.
Thanks. I flashed the latest twrp and supersu before upgrading to Nougat, and they both made it through, so it`s all set up.
I think i`ll try to downgrade since i don`t see the big Deal with N as of now + i have a much worse mobile data signal after updating to it. It`s almost constantly on H instead of 4g /LTE.

If someone is interested in downgrading, here`s an exact instruction that i found here on XDA:

"Download the MM stock firmware and extract all of it to a folder. Then open a cmd/terminal in the download folder (shift and right click in windows I believe, just right click and there will be a option in linux).
Then do these steps in order BACK UP YOUR APPS!!"

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot flash radio radio.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

The names will be a little different, and if you want twrp put it in place of the stock recovery!
PS: Don't flash userdata

If that fails, i`ll install titanium backup to at least get rid of all the google stuff, like music, photos etc.

CyberpodS2

Mar 27, 2012
NE Pennsylvania Boonies
@Heisenberg Do you know of a safe way to downgrade our 6p from Nougat 7.1.1 on Pure Nexus to Marshmallow?
When I got my phone back after RMA from the BLOD it was on 7.0 and the first thing I did was flash a 6.0.1 factory image. I picked the same build number as the last Pure Nexus build in MM. I don't think flashing factory images through fastboot is a big risk as long as you are paying attention and following a good plan. Any other opinions are welcome.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA-Developers Legacy app

Reactions: jt1998

lpsouzalima

Mar 23, 2012
Thanks. I flashed the latest twrp and supersu before upgrading to Nougat, and they both made it through, so it`s all set up.
I think i`ll try to downgrade since i don`t see the big Deal with N as of now + i have a much worse mobile data signal after updating to it. It`s almost constantly on H instead of 4g /LTE.

If someone is interested in downgrading, here`s an exact instruction that i found here on XDA:

"Download the MM stock firmware and extract all of it to a folder. Then open a cmd/terminal in the download folder (shift and right click in windows I believe, just right click and there will be a option in linux).
Then do these steps in order BACK UP YOUR APPS!!"

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot flash radio radio.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

The names will be a little different, and if you want twrp put it in place of the stock recovery!
PS: Don't flash userdata

If that fails, i`ll install titanium backup to at least get rid of all the google stuff, like music, photos etc.

Dude, does it fixes your lte issues? Because i am facing the same problem with my nexus 6p + android 7.1.1.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    @Heisenberg Do you know of a safe way to downgrade our 6p from Nougat 7.1.1 on Pure Nexus to Marshmallow?
    When I got my phone back after RMA from the BLOD it was on 7.0 and the first thing I did was flash a 6.0.1 factory image. I picked the same build number as the last Pure Nexus build in MM. I don't think flashing factory images through fastboot is a big risk as long as you are paying attention and following a good plan. Any other opinions are welcome.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using XDA-Developers Legacy app