Disappointed: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 // More and more missing features 【#ProjectZero2】

Galaxy Note 5? Project Ƶero? What do you think?

• Total voters
Search This thread

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
Disappointed: Samsung Galaxy Note 5 // More and more missing features 【#ProjectZero2】

Hello, everybody.

Everybody does still remember the great shock, where Samsung switched to the evil side of Smartphones with the S6. Nobody expected Samsung ever to do that to the people, who appreciated Samsung before.

Now everybody hoped the Note 5 to be a better Smartphone than the S6, and everybody, who appreciated the OLD „Samsung“ hoped Samsung to fix the S6 disadvantages on the Note 5.

But the codename „Project Zero 2“ made Samsungs Market Suicide for sure.

Example: TSP-Hovering was something great to show off in front of pupils from your school class. The nice S4 and Note 3 gimmicks were good to show off.

But showing off with an S6 is rather impossible.

And if you're in survival mode, the 2550 mAh of the S6 won't keep you alive very long.

Important: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=61982181&postcount=529

Comparisson between the old and the new Samsung:

OLD:
  • Newer Phone = More Features
  • Newer Phones must cover the FULL FEATURE RANGE of the old phone.
  • Newer Phones are able to be used to show off
  • Newer Phones do not lose a single feature
  • Newer Phones have a better battery runtime
  • Newer Phones have cuter user interfaces
  • Successors will impress
  • Hardware is more important than Design

NEW:
  • Successors with ugly logo: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:GalaxyS6_Logo.Png (File History)
  • Successors don't show the model number (e.g. GT-i9506 or SM-N9005) on the boot screen. So the i9506 looks like a stock i9505
  • Successors get uglier user interface
  • Successors only have the most important and basic features
  • Successors get new features, that get lost on the next phone.
  • Successors get more restrictions
  • Successors loose more and more features
  • Successors: Unable to showoff
  • Successors: Design is more Important than Hardware
  • Successors have less costumizability possibilities
  • Less gimmicks
  • Project Zero als means Zero Feature Range
  • Successors: More gaps
  • Successors: requiring getting used to
  • Successors: Less Setting Possibilities
  • Successors: Making many things worse (Now, the S6 does have the iPhone photo animation.)
  • Successors: Uglier UI Sounds
  • Successors: Many useful features are vanished
  • Successors: Harder to use (e.g. you can't access the AppInfo from App Switcher +++ you can't access display settings and clock settings from the dropdown menu)
  • Successors: Loss of Pre-Installed Features (Like Creating/Extracting ZIP Files with the native file manager or drop down menu with two fingers)
  • If there is a UI change, there must be the possiblity to get the old one back (like Lollipop Task Switcher or Lollipop Drop Down Menu or TouchWiz Message Boxes)
  • Successors: Less flexibility and capabilities and usability. (Water-Resistance; USB 3.0 (Faster Data Transfer); MicroSD; MHL-MicroHDMI; Removable Battery; Large battery; Many Features; Useful Features ← all missing. )
  • Successors: I really hope the Physical Shutter Button from the Omnia 2 GT-i8000 (2009/2010 Flagship) to come back to Samsung.
  • Successors: Less Sensors (Gesture, TSP-Hovering, Temperature, Humidity, Air-Pressure, UV)
  • Loss of Backwards Compatibility (Applications or MMS Video Recording etc…)

So it#s impossible to call Project-Zero-Phones „flagship“.

The two phones which had most of the features and the lowest amount of lost features at their release date were the S2 GT-i9100 and the Note 3 SM-N9005.

A great thanks to @hella356 and @bbbobbbo for the great comprehension. :cowboy:

If something is wrong, feel free mentioning it by posting here or sending me a private message. ;)

Feel free posting your opinion here! Every post is welcome. :)

I do really miss the old times of Smartphones and normal Cell Phones, where there were only new features, no lost features.

Here is a list of lost features, which can be used to ShowOff in your school class:
  • Air Gestures (S4, Note 3)
  • TSP-Hovering (S4, Note 3, Alpha) Call Number: *#0*# or *#7353#.
  • Temperature and Humidity Sensor (S4, Note 3)
  • Smart Pause [S4, Note 3]
  • Smart Stay [S4, Note 3]
  • Smart Rotation [S4, Note 3]
  • Smart Screen [S4, Note 3]
  • Smart Scroll [S4, Note 3]
  • Air View (e.g. Video Player Bubble)
  • Video Thumbnail Playback [If you don't like it or want to save battery, disable it]
  • Toolbox
  • Note 2, S4, Note 3, S5 and Alpha: Camera Features and Scene Modes
  • MHL-MicroHDMI
  • Dropdown-Menu: Drop with Two Fingers and call all features

The Second generation of ProjectZero.
Important Post: http://xdaforums.com/note-4/general/disappointed-missing-feature-galaxy-t2866382/post61982181

I can't believe it! Samsung made suicide. That can't be true. :crying:

I truly hope Samsung to come back to the good side of fortune. :(
In the meantime: Feel Free sharing your disappointment in this thread.

Reactions: bbbobbbo

bbbobbbo

Sep 5, 2007
Bucharest
Hello, everybody.

Everybody does still remember the great shock, where Samsung switched to the evil side of Smartphones with the S6. Nobody expected Samsung ever to do that to the people, who appreciated Samsung before.

Now everybody hoped the Note 5 to be a better Smartphone than the S6, and everybody, who appreciated the OLD „Samsung“ hoped Samsung to fix the S6 disadvantages on the Note 5.

But the codename „Project Zero 2“ made Samsungs Market Suicide for sure.

Example: TSP-Hovering was something great to show off in front of pupils from your school class. The nice S4 and Note 3 gimmicks were good to show off.

But showing off with an S6 is rather impossible.

And if you're in survival mode, the 2550 mAh of the S6 won't keep you alive very long.

Important: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=61982181&postcount=529

Comparisson between the old and the new Samsung:

OLD:
  • Newer Phone = More Features
  • Newer Phones must cover the FULL FEATURE RANGE of the old phone.
  • Newer Phones are able to be used to show off
  • Newer Phones do not lose a single feature
  • Newer Phones have a better battery runtime
  • Newer Phones have cuter user interfaces
  • Successors will impress
  • Hardware is more important than Design

NEW:
  • Successors with ugly logo: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:GalaxyS6_Logo.Png (File History)
  • Successors don't show the model number (e.g. GT-i9506 or SM-N9005) on the boot screen. So the i9506 looks like a stock i9505
  • Successors get uglier user interface
  • Successors only have the most important and basic features
  • Successors get new features, that get lost on the next phone.
  • Successors get more restrictions
  • Successors loose more and more features
  • Successors: Unable to showoff
  • Successors: Design is more Important than Hardware
  • Successors have less costumizability possibilities
  • Less gimmicks
  • Project Zero als means Zero Feature Range
  • Successors: More gaps
  • Successors: requiring getting used to
  • Successors: Less Setting Possibilities
  • Successors: Making many things worse (Now, the S6 does have the iPhone photo animation.)
  • Successors: Uglier UI Sounds
  • Successors: Many useful features are vanished
  • Successors: Harder to use (e.g. you can't access the AppInfo from App Switcher +++ you can't access display settings and clock settings from the dropdown menu)
  • Successors: Loss of Pre-Installed Features (Like Creating/Extracting ZIP Files with the native file manager or drop down menu with two fingers)
  • If there is a UI change, there must be the possiblity to get the old one back (like Lollipop Task Switcher or Lollipop Drop Down Menu or TouchWiz Message Boxes)
  • Successors: Less flexibility and capabilities and usability. (Water-Resistance; USB 3.0 (Faster Data Transfer); MicroSD; MHL-MicroHDMI; Removable Battery; Large battery; Many Features; Useful Features ← all missing. )
  • Successors: I really hope the Physical Shutter Button from the Omnia 2 GT-i8000 (2009/2010 Flagship) to come back to Samsung.
  • Successors: Less Sensors (Gesture, TSP-Hovering, Temperature, Humidity, Air-Pressure, UV)
  • Loss of Backwards Compatibility (Applications or MMS Video Recording etc…)

So it#s impossible to call Project-Zero-Phones „flagship“.

The two phones which had most of the features and the lowest amount of lost features at their release date were the S2 GT-i9100 and the Note 3 SM-N9005.

A great thanks to @hella356 and @bbbobbbo for the great comprehension. :cowboy:

If something is wrong, feel free mentioning it by posting here or sending me a private message. ;)

Feel free posting your opinion here! Every post is welcome. :)

I do really miss the old times of Smartphones and normal Cell Phones, where there were only new features, no lost features.

Here is a list of lost features, which can be used to ShowOff in your school class:
  • Air Gestures (S4, Note 3)
  • TSP-Hovering (S4, Note 3, Alpha) Call Number: *#0*# or *#7353#.
  • Temperature and Humidity Sensor (S4, Note 3)
  • Smart Pause [S4, Note 3]
  • Smart Stay [S4, Note 3]
  • Smart Rotation [S4, Note 3]
  • Smart Screen [S4, Note 3]
  • Smart Scroll [S4, Note 3]
  • Air View (e.g. Video Player Bubble)
  • Video Thumbnail Playback [If you don't like it or want to save battery, disable it]
  • Toolbox
  • Note 2, S4, Note 3, S5 and Alpha: Camera Features and Scene Modes
  • MHL-MicroHDMI
  • Dropdown-Menu: Drop with Two Fingers and call all features

The Second generation of ProjectZero.
Important Post: http://xdaforums.com/note-4/general/disappointed-missing-feature-galaxy-t2866382/post61982181

I can't believe it! Samsung made suicide. That can't be true. :crying:

I truly hope Samsung to come back to the good side of fortune. :(
In the meantime: Feel Free sharing your disappointment in this thread.
Totally agree! It is beyond my comprehension as to why Samsung is doing all this, and TBH I'm starting to not give a flying f**k!

As Hannah so well pointed out, Samsung as we all used to know no longer exists! It really is becoming just an IPhone with an added stylus, only worse.

Oh, and Hannah, among the missing features let's not forget:
- embedded location (street name and number) in the pictures name, like Note 2's;
- real physical FM radio;
- photo signature, like Note 3's;
- is really IR blaster missing, or is it just rumours?

So as farm as I'm concerned, I' ll be sticking with my current Note 4 long as I can , and as soon as a mother-of-all-phones hits the market, WITH a stylus like Spen, I'll be its first owner!

Reactions: Hannah Stern

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
Totally agree! It is beyond my comprehension as to why Samsung is doing all this, and TBH I'm starting to not give a flying f**k!

As Hannah so well pointed out, Samsung as we all used to know no longer exists! It really is becoming just an IPhone with an added stylus, only worse.

Oh, and Hannah, among the missing features let's not forget:
- embedded location (street name and number) in the pictures name, like Note 2's;
- real physical FM radio;
- photo signature, like Note 3's;
- is really IR blaster missing, or is it just rumours?

So as farm as I'm concerned, I' ll be sticking with my current Note 4 long as I can , and as soon as a mother-of-all-phones hits the market, WITH a stylus like Spen, I'll be its first owner!

You're absolutely 1000 Percents right. Thank you very much for your reply. :cowboy:
What the hell actually happened to Samsung? I simply can't believe that.

The only way, Samsung can return is that less and less people buy their devices, so that they cancel ProjectZero.

ProjectZero=SamsungSuicide

Definition of ProjectZero:
  • Zero Reputation for Samsung
  • Zero Feature Range
  • Zero end-user friendly
  • Zero Flexibility
  • Loss of Features
  • Design has a higer priority than Hardware+Flexibility+Software+UI

But for the People, who appreciated SAMSUNG before, the FEATURES are more important than the DESIGN!!!!!

Design-Priority is something for iPhone.
Their Phones have:
  • Just 1 GB Ram
  • 1850 mAh (Galaxy Alpha has 1860 mAh) Battery
  • No 4K Video
  • Crappy Camera User Interface
  • Setting Menu: Ugly User Interface
  • But Apples advantage is, that successors don't lose any feature.

Samsung must not go that way.

Nobody expected the S6 to be such a CrapFone (or CrapPhone).

Before S6 Release:
Everybody imagined the S6 to be like that: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/3/38/20150721132405!GalaxyS6_Logo.Png

But Samsung made it like this: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/GalaxyS6_Logo.Png

Ugly, no Features and a low amount of new features.
In 2011, we knew Samsung a different way. But in 2015, Samsung isn't Samsung anymore.

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
The fact, that my Nexus 7 had no MicroSD was a great torture for me.
I had to struggle with Space Storage etc. and i wished to have a Galaxy Note 8.

That time, i was lucky, that Samsung only made devices with MicroSD. But now?
Facepalm-smiley-animated.gif

Also: Great thanks to @Neo3D and @xda rocks for their threads. And @hella356's idea for the -E Models.
and you, @bbbobbbo, you understand, why i truly hate Samsungs 2015 changes. I truly don't like, what Samsung did in 2015. And many other Samsuns costumers also don't.

Reactions: bbbobbbo

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
Samsung shrinks the battery size just to make the device thinner and to look more stylish. But that's not important at all.
If you're in survival mode, battery size will be much more useful than a good design.

If you're alone in a dark wood with a Galaxy S6, your battery charge is 1% and you've got a second battery with 73% charge (but you can't insert it), then the good design of the S6 won't rescue you.

The S5 has a greater and removable battery, which is able to rescue you from there.

Also a Nokia 3310 would be better than a Galaxy S6 in this case.

See: http://xdaforums.com/general/help/thickness-phone-to-batter-battery-life-t3133035

UpInTheAir

Account currently disabled
Jan 17, 2011
Phuket, Thailand
Come on,............. why ***** and moan when we all knew what 90+% of "features" and specs the device would be released with before purchase !! It is not "lucky dip", so if you bought the device without doing your homework or with full knowledge of imitations >> live with it or change it (software side) - if possible. That's what XDA-Developers is about :)

Let's contribute positively instead of breeding negativity >> or move on to a better suited device ;)

Because, I certainly will build and release a custom kernel when source is released and of course, time permitting !! :)

bbbobbbo

Sep 5, 2007
Bucharest
Come on,............. why ***** and moan when we all knew what 90+% of "features" and specs the device would be released with before purchase !! It is not "lucky dip", so if you bought the device without doing your homework or with full knowledge of imitations >> live with it or change it (software side) - if possible. That's what XDA-Developers is about :)

Let's contribute positively instead of breeding negativity >> or move on to a better suited device ;)

Because, I certainly will build and release a custom kernel when source is released and of course, time permitting !! :)
We ***** and moan because it's our right to do so on a dedicated forum, for your info.

And i think you totally miss our point: it's NOT that we have actually purchased the device without knowing its specs, and now ***** about it, it is all about that we WILL NO LONGER purchase any other samsung note under current conditions, precisely because WE KNOW the crappy specs, trend and path samsung has decided to go down. It's sort of triggering an alarm bell, if you will.

And no custom kernel in the world will ever compensate for the missing hardware and sensors. They are just missing, end of story.

Last edited:

UpInTheAir

Jan 17, 2011
Phuket, Thailand
We ***** and moan because it's our right to do so on a dedicated forum, for your info.

And i think you totally miss our point: it's NOT that we have actually purchased the device without knowing its specs, and now ***** about it, it is all about that we WILL NO LONGER purchase any other samsung note under current conditions, precisely because WE KNOW the crappy specs, trend and path samsung has decided to go down. It's sort of triggering an alarm bell, if you will.

And no custom kernel in the world will ever compensate for the missing hardware and sensors. They are just missing, end of story.

Stop whining, and get another phone. END OF STORY !! Who cares about your rant about "crappy" specs, we are proactive here in XDA and maintain a positive attitude rather than moan about a regretful purchase.

bbbobbbo

Sep 5, 2007
Bucharest
Stop whining, and get another phone. END OF STORY !! Who cares about your rant about "crappy" specs, we are proactive here in XDA and maintain a positive attitude rather than moan about a regretful purchase.
Why don't you take your pro -activism and go troll somewhere else?

This thread has been specifically opened to WHINE about Note 5, so go open your own thread where you can show your Note 5 fanboys how proactive you are.

ebs512

Mar 13, 2012
Austin
I kind of like my note 5 with an 8 core processor and 16mp camera. It's a very fast phone and lollipop 5.1.1 official is awesome. I'm no noob when it comes to running custom roms but I will be doing so as soon as one gets released. The only downfall on the note 5 is no hotspot toggle in settings on the sprint 64gb version. My girlfriend got the s6+edge gold on sprint and the hotspot feature is in settings :/

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014

@UpInTheAir Yes, this thread is actually dedicated for that. Here, you can post your disappointments.

Samsung is the only Android phone manufacturer, which does not use those crappy virtual on-screen-keys. They suck and eat up 160 Pixels from the Screen.

But Project Zero does stop Samsungs phones to be unique.

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
I kind of like my note 5 with an 8 core processor and 16mp camera. It's a very fast phone and lollipop 5.1.1 official is awesome. I'm no noob when it comes to running custom roms but I will be doing so as soon as one gets released. The only downfall on the note 5 is no hotspot toggle in settings on the sprint 64gb version. My girlfriend got the s6+edge gold on sprint and the hotspot feature is in settings :/

Yes. I would like Samsung to pack everything in the drop-down-menu like on the Note 3 and the S5. You can access the dropdown menu from everywhere…

Hannah Stern

Aug 30, 2014
No custom kernel in the world will ever compensate for the missing hardware and sensors. They are just missing, end of story.

That is also 100% correct.

In my giant post in the Note 4 thread, i mentioned over 20 Missing Hardware Features of ProjectZero Phones and the Note 4.

It's impossible to make an app, which will add MHL or make Data Transfer as fast as the USB 3.0 from the Note 3 and the S5.

No app can measure the air temperature on the S6.
And no costum firmware ROM is able to make the S6 edge usable underwater. Only nanocoating does.

Is there any Application, which makes the S6 battery bigger?
Is there any Application, which makes you able to use MicroSD on the S6?

Is there any Application, which makes the Note 5 to use USB type C?
You want to present something on your Note 5. The TV does not support screen mirroring but has HDMI. Is there any app, which can help me there? The ProjectZero USB Port does not support MHL! It will destroy MHL!

Is there any Application to make EFUse revertable?

And is there any Application, which will make you able to listen to Radio on the Note 4, without using up Internet Traffic? (UKW-Radio does not require Internet Connection)

Is there any application, which can detect your finger, if you hover it over your touchscreen, without touching the screen itself?
S4: Yes
Note 3: Yes
Alpha: Yes.

But S6 and Note 5 are newer than Note 3. So they must have this feature, but they don't!

Is there any way to make the Note 5 to measure the humidity of the air?
Easy answer @UpInTheAir:
NO. There is no way.
I'm very sorry to say that, but Samsungs good times seem to be over.
@hella356 - Let's hope the -E models to have all sensors too.
@bbbobbbo: Your Posts were simply great. You know, what i mean :laugh::cowboy:

Reactions: Neo3D and bbbobbbo

Your comment makes no sense. If consumers did not demand what we want, then smartphones will still have 3.5" screens like Steve Jobs originally intended.

Also, demand is an important part of one of the foundations of capitalism which is: SUPPLY & DEMAND.

Lastly, how can your kernel make up for the loss of ability to add 128gb storage to phone? Are you going to use file compression on everything to squeeze more space out of it? Windows has this already and it runs SLOW AS HELL.

How can your kernel DOUBLE or TRIPLE the real battery life? A replaceable battery lets us DOUBLE and TRIPLE the battery life by swapping out batteries, which takes <20 seconds.

Thanks for contributing but your statements MAKE NO SENSE.

Last edited:

UpInTheAir

Jan 17, 2011
Phuket, Thailand
Your comment makes no sense. If consumers did not demand what we want, then smartphones will still have 3.5" screens like Steve Jobs originally intended.

Also, demand is an important part of one of the foundations of capitalism which is: SUPPLY & DEMAND.

Lastly, how can your kernel make up for the loss of ability to add 128gb storage to phone? Are you going to use file compression on everything to squeeze more space out of it? Windows has this already and it runs SLOW AS HELL.

How can your kernel DOUBLE or TRIPLE the real battery life? A replaceable battery lets us DOUBLE and TRIPLE the battery life by swapping out batteries, which takes <20 seconds.

Thanks for contributing but your statements MAKE NO SENSE.

Please actually read my post. If you don't understand the gist, then don't bother replying......

I implied for users to be pro-active in things they actually CAN change (software). Obviously nothing can be done about hardware ...... :rolleyes:

I only commented about what I intend to do (as far as actually CONTRIBUTING TO XDA - instead of moaning which contribute NOTHING).

You know how many times I bricked my new device today,...... lost count. Was trying to port CF-AUTOROOT to our shiny new toy !! Just failed the last little bit on flash. Maybe the binary just doesn't work with 7420 5.1.1 yet or Sepolicy ?

Why knowingly buy a car with no wheels and complain when you can't go anywhere. Think about it :what:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

NO IT DOESN'T. And putting it in all caps doesn't make it more true.

I am fine with using cloud for bulk storage.

So maybe you should stick with stating YOUR preferences/needs instead of acting like you speak for the whole world, or even the majority for that matter.
    Samsung has over 20 other models of phones without removable battery or upgradable storage. Why do you care if we want the Note to continue its LONG HELD TRADITION OF REMOVABLE BATTERY & UPGRADABLE STORAGE?
    I intend to buy a Note 5.
    After reading this post, I still want to buy it LOL
    Samsung made the phone the way they wanted and there is a reason they released it the same day as the s6+ edge. Want something different make it yourself or wait for something to come out that will suit your personal needs better. Every person has their fix and it's so easy to focus on the negative but look at what is available. A very advanced piece of technology that was not released (officially) before yesterday. Like I said it all depends on the user and their intentions. For me the Note 5 is a perfect fit. How do you go wrong with a 16mp rear 5mp front camera, 64gb internal and exynos octa core processor come on be thankful for something